Section 1 of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996

Section 1 of the Party Wall etc. ActSection 1 of the Party Wall etc. Act: RMA Surveyors have served numerous Party Wall notices on behalf of building owners who are undertaking works notifiable under the Party Wall Act etc. 1996.

There are three types of notices. This article deals with the requirements of Section 1 of the Party Wall etc. Act, where notice is required in respect of construction and repair of walls on a Line of Junction.

Section 1 has an effect where lands of different property owners adjoin and there is no building on a line of junction other than a boundary wall [note: In this case a wall is defined as a wall; and a timber fence is not deemed to be included under this definition].

A notice is required where either owner is about to build on any part of the Line of Junction. A Line of Junction is a specific term that would be determined between owners or their appointed surveyors. It is not deemed to be a boundary line, as the Party Wall Act is not legislation that can determine a boundary dispute.

If a building owner wants to build a party wall or a party fence wall on the Line of Junction, they should issue a notice to the adjoining owner at least one month before they intend to start building works and the notice should indicate their desire to build and the works intended.

If the adjoining owner, upon receipt of the notice, agrees with the works, the wall can be built half upon the land of each owner. This would be either side of the Line of Junction or the position agreed by the two owners (and/or their surveyors, if required).

In such an instance that the adjoining owner agrees, the cost of the wall would be split between the two owners, in such a proportion as to who made most use of the construction.

If the cost is deferred by one owner until a later date, it is usually the case that the cost they pay would be the equivalent to the cost of labour and materials at that later date. This seeks to take account of inflation or deflation.

If however, the adjoining owner does not consent to the works proceeding, the building owner may still build the wall but it would be at his own expense and the wall would be placed wholly upon his own land. Consent would need to be written if the building owner wanted to build upon the Line of Junction a wall that is placed wholly on his land, he would still need to serve the adjoining owner a notice describing the intended wall. And where the building owner builds a wall wholly on his land, he should have the right at any time, to begin construction one month after the day on which the notice was originally served and 12 months after that date.

The building owner would be able to place below the level of the land of adjoining owner a projecting footing and foundations as are necessary for the construction of the wall.

In many cases, nowadays, it is rarely necessary for there to be projecting footings, as walls can be built off eccentric foundations, however, that said, each case should be judged on its own merits.

Where a building owners builds a wall entirely on his own land, and does so at his own expense, he would still need to compensate the adjoining owner or any adjoining occupier for any damage to the adjoining property caused by building the wall or by placing the footings and foundations on the adjoining owners property.

Should any dispute arise under Section 1 of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, the building owner and adjoining owner or occupier of the adjoining owners land should determine that dispute in accordance with Section 10 and this would entail appointing a surveyor(s) to act upon behalf of the parties.

If you would like professional advice contact RMA Surveyors, members of RICS. Contact us on 01635 579208.